Stardew Valley Farm Layout | Pocket tactics

by Ana Lopez

Choosing which card to shop on is the first step in Stardew Valley, but which one should you choose? Several are available The layout of the Stardew Valley farm options, all of which have unique features and aspects that suit certain playstyles more than others. All areas offer a certain amount of farmland, but depending on the locations you choose, there may be much more or less available. One card focuses on fighting, another favors the fisherman, while another takes a little bit of everything and throws it into one card. So, how do you know which one to go for? Well, that’s where we come in. We’ve put together this farmhouse layout guide to educate you on what to expect from each location and what you can do to make the most of your space.

If you find this guide helpful, you may also want to check out our other Stardew Valley content, which includes a Stardew Valley fishing list, as well as guides on Stardew Valley’s Lewis and Stardew Valley’s Sebastian, detailing their likes, dislikes, and gifts.

Now without further delay let’s get to the best Stardew Valley farm layouts.

a representation of the standard map of Stardew Valley

Standard Stardew Valley farm layout

If you’re looking for a nice piece of land that’s ideal for both crops and animals, look no further than the basic farm map. Essentially, you treat this like your average farm. You have 3,427 editable tiles at your disposal, as well as 235 buildable tiles, although these are not editable. In terms of viable skill, the default farm encourages farming.

This is the one we recommend on your first playthrough. You have enough space for crops and animal breeding, unlike other maps. Oh, and there are plenty of resources at your disposal – just look at all those trees. However, keep in mind that this comes at the cost of special perks found on other farm cards.

There are multiple farm layouts to consider for this map. We recommend going the wide route though, you can fit animals, crops and anything else you need in the space. If you decide to add more buildings at some point later, you’ll have room to do so.

A view of the Stardew Valley river map

The layout of the Stardew Valley farm in the river country

Layout of the Stardew Valley fish farm

As the name implies, water covers most of this land. That’s why you need to sharpen your fishing skills. Due to how much water surrounds the river map, your available farmland is reduced. There are 1,578 editable tiles on this map and 516 buildable tiles.

When you go fishing, the majority of your catches – 70% to be exact – are fish typically found in the Pelican Town River, such as rainbow trout, salmon and lingcod. The other 30% are pond fish – such as smallmouth bass, perch and pike – which you can find in Cindersap Forest.

Since the Riverland Farm layout limits land space, we recommend placing crops and trees on individual islands. The larger areas of land are great for buildings, and you can plant additional crops nearby, giving you quick access to transport crates.

A view of the Stardew Valley forest map

Forest Farm Layout Stardew Valley

Layout of the forage farm in Stardew Valley

Trees and foliage surround your land on the forest map and there are many bushes, some of which provide you with berries. All in all, you have 1,413 editable tiles to play with and 1,490 non-editable, but buildable tiles. In addition, there are eight open spaces on the western side of the map that spawn large, renewable stumps, and unique weeds that drop mixed seeds, without fail. These open spaces can also generate seasonal fodder items, which are as follows:

  • Spring – wild horseradish, leek, morel and dandelion
  • Summer – grape, herb berry, sweet pea and common mushroom
  • Autumn – common mushroom, red mushroom, purple mushroom and chanterelle

Each of the seasonal feed products has a 25% chance of falling. If you like it, this could be the map for you, as foraging is the viable skill for this land.

Of course, you can also fish here, although your chances of catching garbage instead of a real fish are 50%. Meanwhile you can catch woodskip 5% of the time, the other 45% are mostly pond fish – such as smallmouth bass, walleye and perch – found in Cindersap Forest.

A view of the Stardew Valley hilltop map

Farmhouse layout on a hilltop in Stardew Valley

Layout of Stardew Valley mining company

On the hilltop farm map, you have 1,648 editable tiles, while another 930 are non-editable but buildable. Depending on your level, the southwest hilltop will spawn rocks, ore, and geodes. However, keep in mind that large stumps, large logs, and boulders can block your path and you’ll need to use the right tools to get past them. As you may have guessed, mining is an essential skill for this country.

Thanks to the current flowing through the map, you can go out and catch some fish – at least 50% of the time. Sometimes you’ll find trash, but if you’re lucky you’ll find fish caught in the Cindersap Forest River, including rainbow trout, catfish, and pike.

As for the layout for this type of farm, we recommend placing barns on the southwest hilltop, leaving just enough room for nodes to spawn. Elsewhere, at the bottom left of the map, you’ll find plenty of room to grow some crops.

A view of the Stardew Valley wilderness map

Wilderness farm layout in Stardew Valley

Stardew Valley battle farm layout

Would you rather fight than farm? Then the wilderness farm might be something for you. At night you face monsters, which spawn and scale, with your level. Oh, and one of these enemies is the Wilderness Golem, which spawns here more often than on any other map. Unsurprisingly, the viable skill for a wilderness farm is fighting.

There are a few places to fish here, although you have a 65% chance of bringing in trash. The remaining 35% you will see catch fish from the mountain lake.

Due to the available ponds and surrounding cliffs, your farmland is smaller. However, you do have 2,131 editable tiles and 444 non-editable but buildable tiles. In theory, this means you’ll have plenty of room for buildings, but don’t forget about the unwanted visitors this farm gets.

If you are looking for a quiet farm, where you have enough space for crops and animals, this place is not for you. Much of your time is taken up by monsters. You would do well to have your crops scattered, but keep some close to your home.

A shot of the Stardew Valley quadrangles map

Stardew Valley farm with four corners

Layout of the co-op farm in Stardew Valley

This is a unique map because – as the name suggests – it is split into four parts, each reminiscent of a different location. As a result, the four corners map is a country that you should tackle not alone, but with friends. In addition, different skills are required due to the different terrain. There are a total of 2,952 editable tiles on this map.

So the top left corner of this map is the forest farm, where you can find some weeds that drop unique seeds. Meanwhile, the top right corner is the default farm – a nice little area for some farming. If you feel like fishing, the lower left part of the map is the place to go. Finally, the lower right corner is like a farm on a hill. Here you will find ore and geode nodes, although it depends on your level.

How should you furnish this farm? In the top right corner, we recommend planting some crops or housing some animals.

A view of the Stardew Valley beach map

Layout of the Stardew Valley beach farm

Layout of the fish and forage farm in Stardew Valley

Who doesn’t like the beach? They are beautiful locations, and the one in Stardew Valley is no exception. However, let’s say this right away: we don’t recommend this farm for new players. If you’re new to Stardew Valley, we’d suggest looking at one of the above maps instead – perhaps the default map as you get a feel for the game.

When you set up shop on the beach map, you’ll find that foraging and fishing are the main skills you’ll need. After all, a beach is the ideal place for foraging, and certainly for fishing.

Most of the time – 52.73% – you catch ocean fish such as puffers, sardines, eels, red mullet and more. 15% of the time you get seaweed, while 5.1% of the time you catch a muscle, clam, coral or oyster. However, be prepared to find garbage from time to time.

This map is great for foraging and farming early in the game, but isn’t the best map for later in the game.

Layout planner for Stardew Valley farms

If you want to plan your farm before you start building, or just looking for some ideas, this is it Stardew Valley planner suits you perfectly. Clicking the ‘start planning’ button takes you to a farm map view, where you can place buildings and set up your ideal home. You can also check out designs other players have created for inspiration.

Stardew Valley Farm Layout Reddit

If you’re still looking for Stardew Valley farm layout ideas, this Farms of Stardew Valley subreddit is the perfect place for you. Whether you want the perfect Stardew Valley forage farm, are hoping for a fully automated farm, or want to know how best to use the space to keep your animals happy, there are bound to be plenty of ideas here.

There you have it, that’s all you need to know to get started on your new farm. If you love Stardew Valley but would like to try something different, check out our guide to the best Switch RPGs, you never know what you might find.

Related Posts